Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Chocolate Raisin Biscotti




































So, remember how I was telling you that my husband and I are going to eat a healthy lifestyle now? Well, today I am sharing with you my chocolate raisin biscotti recipe. Makes sense, right? Actually, we have a friend/book study get-together every Wednesday with about 10-15 of my church members, and I thought I would make biscotti as a treat for everyone.  So, although these are not the healthiest of all treats, I was only tempted to eat one. I swear! And I attempted to hold my husband off, but I'm not sure how successful I was.

These can be low-calorie by using light butter, less sugar, or also a sugar substitute. I do not like sugar substitutes, so I just eat in moderation rather than going for lower calories. If you make this recipe as-is, each biscotti runs around 100 calories. I would normally use light butter, but I had some left over full-fat butter from cookies I made for an event at work. Oh well!

Also, I add a tablespoon of strong or condensed coffee for an extra flavor element. I used a Starbucks vanilla flavor, which added a slight vanilla layer of flavor as well. You can use whatever coffee you want, or leave it out completely. A chai tea concentrate might also be delicious.

Just make this recipe, which makes about 20-24 biscotti pieces, brew a cup of joe, and enjoy the day away.


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened good quality cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 3/4 cup dried raisins
  • 2 oz butter (1/4 cup), softened
  • 3/4 cup superfine sugar (you can put sugar in food processor)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tbsp strong coffee or coffee concentrate
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375°.

2. Prepare baking sheet. I used parchment paper, but you can also spray an oil or use butter to line it.

3. In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking powder, and salt. Add raisins, and combine.






















4. In a mixer or a bowl, mix butter and sugar on medium speed for 1-1/2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time. I used a hand-held mixer, but you can use a stand-mixer if you are lucky enough to have one.



5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients bowl and mix on low speed until just barely combined to make a dough. Do not over-mix.

6. Remove the dough from the bowl and using your hands, divide the dough into two or three pieces and form into long, flat shapes about 8" long, 4" wide, and 1-1/2" in girth. Place on to the baking sheets and bake about 20 minutes.


7. When cool enough to handle, gently cut the loaves on the angle into 1/2 inch slices (a bread knife works best). 






















 
8. Return to the baking sheet fitting as many as you can on the baking sheet, you may need to do this in batches. Bake the biscotti for another 3-4 minutes on each side, less if you like it softer. Makes about 20.
























This biscotti is really great with coffee or hot chocolate. I hope you make it and enjoy it. What are some of your favorite flavors of biscotti?
 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...